Ashish Agarwal November 29, 2015
We have discussed thoroughly about the importance of body detox for psoriasis in one of the previous post. If you need a long term effective healing of psoriasis, then body detox is the first thing that you need to do. Psoriasis is an auto-immune disorder where your faulty immune system stimulates exceptionally higher growth of skin cells to cause thick psoriasis scales on different parts of your body. Increased level of body toxins is certainly the most obvious reason for triggering an auto-immune disorder.
Increased body toxins enter into your blood stream through the damaged intestinal walls. It is also known as Leaky Gut Syndrome. These toxins circulate throughout the body and accumulate in body cells. Liver and kidney, the primary organs responsible for elimination of toxins would overwork to get rid of these toxins. Gradually, your liver would become less effective and then your skin would play its role by facilitating elimination of these toxins through the skin in the form of psoriasis patches.
Various reasons for increase in body toxins are:
- Chronic constipation and indigestion
- Unhealthy food habits (highly processed foods, junk foods rich in salt, sugar and saturated fats)
- Food sensitivity (unable to process foods like dairy, gluten, complex starch)
- Genetic factor
- High level of stress and anxiety
- Irregular life style (improper sleep, irregular meal timings)
- Overuse of antibiotics and steroids
- Over consumption of alcohol and tobacco (smoking)
- Skin infection or any injury
For Psoriasis healing, you have to – eliminate the accumulated toxins from the body and then you have to make sure that you don’t accumulate any more toxins. A healthy psoriasis diet, positive changes in lifestyle, use of dietary supplements and herbs, stress management- all these things would help in it.
Read more: Why body detox is required for Psoriasis healing
In this post, we would discuss about the benefits of coffee enema for psoriasis in detail. Coffee enema is a powerful enema procedure to cleanse your liver which would eventually detox your whole internal body system.
Benefits of Coffee enema for Psoriasis
Coffee enema is a type of colon cleansing, where you insert organic coffee (diluted with water) in your body through the rectum (anus). Coffee enema is a form of hydrotherapy (therapy using water) which is being in use since ages.
The question is- There are so many different types of enema like saline water enema, mineral oil enema, barium enema- then why would someone use coffee for enema?
The answer is- coffee enema is particularly helpful in liver detox and improves its efficiency so that it can eliminate the toxins accumulated in your body tissues and bloodstream. As we all know, impaired liver plays a role in psoriasis development and persistence. Hence, a more energetic and capable liver would definitely help in relieving psoriasis symptoms.
Coffee enema stimulates the liver to increase the production of bile (a complex fluid). Increased bile production speed up the flow of bile towards the colon. This fluid (bile) combines with toxins present in your liver and flush out of your body through bowel movements. Hence, increased bile flow helps in getting rid of toxins from the liver. ￼
Apart from helping in the liver detox, increase in bile production has a lot more to offer you.
Increased bile production helps in:
- Absorbing vital nutrients from the food you eat It helps in maintaining a healthy gut flora by regulating the amount of friendly microbes
- Aids in digestion of complex proteins and starch. If you have food sensitivities (allergies), then increase in bile flow would help you immensely in processing these hard to digest foods.
Good to know
Coffee enema is highly beneficial in eliminating parasites and Candida from your body and maintaining an optimal body pH to check further growth of parasites in your colon. It increases your energy level, makes you more energetic and eliminates the problem of sluggishness.
Possible side effects of coffee enema
Before discussing the procedure of coffee enema, let us discuss the highly anticipated part first- the side effects. During enema, you are directly injecting liquid into your body through the rectum and forcefully contracting the bowel walls to stimulate bowel movements. It doesn’t seem a natural procedure by any means.
Coffee enema doesn’t have any specific side effects except the common side effects that any type of enema can impose. But, excess of anything is bad. Hence, you should avoid overdoing.
In Naturopathy, enema is considered completely safe and naturopath experts recommend daily enema if you are undergoing a detox program. If the problem is chronic, then you would be advised to do multiple enemas in a day to speed up the detox process. After the detox program, you would be recommended to do weekly enemas to maintain the detox process.
Various possible side effects of coffee enema:
- Excessive use of coffee enema can result in dehydration and minerals deficiency.
- If not done properly, then it can cause stomach cramps, vomiting, nausea and infections.
- Overuse of coffee enema (just like any other enema) can cause dependency on enema for regular bowel movements and sometimes, decreased function of the bowels.
Hence the best approach is – Do coffee enema on a daily basis for initial 15-20 days under the supervision of a health expert and then, you can do it on a weekly basis at your home also.
What do you need to administer a coffee enema
- A 2-quart enema bag kit
- Organic coffee (caffeinated). It should NOT be decaffeinated
- Drinking water
- A saucepan/pot to boil the coffee (or a coffee maker)
- A fine strainer or filter (to filter the coffee solution before filling it in the enema bag)
- Oil for lubricating the nozzle (tip) of the tube. You can use coconut oil, olive oil or any other edible oil for lubrication.
How to do a coffee enema
It is always advisable to do coffee enema in the morning after having the bowel movement. It would enhance the effectiveness of enema.
- Take 2-3 cups of water (around 500-750 ml of water) and add 2-3 tablespoons of organic coffee in it. Coffee can be grounded of flaked, it doesn’t really matter.
- Mix the solution well and boil it. Keep it boiling for 5 more minutes and then turn off the heat. Let the solution cool down to room temperature. If you want to cool it down quickly, then add few ice cubes in it.
- When the coffee solution is cool enough to be inserted, filter it using a fine strainer or filter and pour the filtered solution into the enema bag.
- Push the enema tube well into the enema bag and make sure there is no leakage. The nozzle/ enema tip should be on the other side of the hose. Remove any air present in the tube or enema bag by just releasing (opening) the enema tip a little so that liquid can come out. Now re clamp it. Lubricate the enema tip a little to ensure smooth insertion of the tip inside your anus. Your enema kit is ready to work now.
- Hang the enema bag around 2 feet above the floor. Lay on the floor with a thick cloth sheet/ towel underneath you. You can also lay down in the bath tub. Lay down on your back or left side. You can use a pillow underneath your buttocks to ensure thorough filling of the colon with the coffee solution.
- Insert the enema tip gently into your rectum, around 1-2 inches in. Now, open the enema tip and let the coffee solution enter your body. Don’t change your posture while filling in the coffee solution. When the enema bag is empty, then close the enema tip and slowly pull the tip out of your rectum.
- Now, you have to hold the solution inside your body for around 10-15 minutes. It is not an easy task. You would feel an immediate urge for bowel movement, but you have to hold on for some time. So, keep laying down in the same posture or you can move a little (while lying down) to distract your mind. Take deep breaths and try to relax. You can start reading a book or listening to some songs also. NEVER try to walk with the coffee solution inside because it would be extremely comfortable and there would be high chances of solution coming out of your anus.
- After 10-15 minutes, go to the toilet and have a bowel movement to flush out coffee and toxins from your body. You may need to go for bowel movements more than once in the next 20-30 minutes.
Note: Please refer to the instructions given on the enema kit for more detailed information about assembling the enema kit and how to take the enema.
Additional tips for a perfect coffee enema
- Always do enema in the morning empty stomach after a bowel movement.
- During enema solution injection, massage your lower abdominal clockwise. And, when you go for bowel movement, massage anti-clockwise. It would help in effective elimination of hardened stool.
- Try to make sure that coffee solution reaches the whole of your colon. Hence, holding the solution for 10- 15 minutes is a good idea. For the first time, you may find it hard to hold for such a long time, but, gradually, you would find it easy.
- Sometimes, coffee enema can lower your blood sugar. Hence, you can eat something after the coffee enema to tackle this problem.
- Initially, you should do it under the supervision of a medical expert.
- After enema, wash the enema bag, tube and tip with mild soap and warm water thoroughly to avoid any infection during re-use.
- After coffee enema, try drinking coconut water to make up for the minerals deficiency. Coconut water is a natural drink, full of benefits for Psoriasis.
- After coffee enema, drink a lot of water throughout the day to avoid dehydration. Also, drinking enough water would further speed up the detox process.
Who should avoid coffee enema
If you are suffering from hemorrhoids (piles), then you may find coffee enema irritating. In that case, you can use a red catheter tube instead of a normal enema tube.
Pregnant women and people with caffeine sensitivity should not do coffee enema.
About Organic coffee and enema kit
Organic coffee is a better choice over regular coffee because regular coffee may have insecticides which would be absorbed very easily by your rectum walls.
Buy a good quality organic coffee, either grounded or flaked. Buy it from a store near to you.
In case you want to buy it online, follow the below link:
If you are from USA, click here to buy
If you are from India, click here to buy
Similarly, buy a good enema kit with all the accessories like hanger, metal hook, a flexible enema tip (for deeper enema). The enema bag should be made up of latex rubber and tube should be silicon made. Buy a good brand, it would assure you that you don’t have the risk of infection during re-use.
Buy it from a chemist shop near to you. Otherwise, try it from Online shopping.
If you are from USA, click here to buy If you are from India, click here to buy
Benefits of Coffee enema for psoriasis are enormous as far as body detox is concerned, particularly the liver detox. Also, it helps in destroying Candida and other unhealthy microbes from the digestive tract. But, it is not a full fledged treatment for psoriasis. You need to make positive changes in diet and lifestyle along with the use of dietary supplements and herbs. Otherwise, you would again accumulate toxins in your body and detox effects would fade away. Hence, consider coffee enema as a way of detox and detox is the first step towards healing. But, the real battle starts after detox program and I am here to help you in winning the battle and overcoming your psoriasis to live a better life.